WALLACE, F.V (11 DEC 1904 – 19 FEB 1980)
F.V. Wallace was mayor of Amarillo from 1963 to 1967 and was prominent in the development of Amarillo Medical Center, now known as the Harrington Regional Medical Center. Wallace Boulevard, a main thoroughfare of the center, was named in his honor.
Wallace was born in Kearney, Neb., in 1904. He graduated from high school in Oklahoma City and attended the University of Oklahoma, where he studied business administration.
Wallace’s roots became firmly planted in the Panhandle in 1934 when he was employed by Shamrock Oil and Gas as a clerk for the Mel Davis Refinery, one of the company’s first refineries, near Lefors. He transferred to chief clerk at the McKee Plant near Dumas, where he remained for almost 10 years.
While in Dumas, he became active in civic organizations such as the Lions Club, which he served as president.
In 1945, he was transferred to Amarillo as personnel manager, later becoming office assistant to the president of the company. He retired from Shamrock Oil in 1968 as corporate secretary after almost 34 years with the company.
During his years in Amarillo, he donated his time to more than 50 community groups. He was named Amarillo Globe-News Man of the Year in 1958. He was cited for his humanitarian work in the medical field.
For the Amarillo Area Foundation, from 1967 to 1975, he served as member, hospital committee chairman and executive director. He was a member and chairman of the board of hospital managers of the Amarillo Hospital District.
He retired from the foundation in 1976.
Wallace’s service to community groups included the Civil Air Patrol, the Amarillo College Aviation Committee and the city of Amarillo Airport Board. He also volunteered with the Amarillo Chamber of Commerce, Northwest Texas Hospital board of managers, Lions International and West Texas State University. He died in 1980.
SECTION M10 LOT 18 SPACE B
Biography was obtained by Prominent Figures of the Panhandle, Amarillo Globe News, May 19, 2000.